Ask the Astronomer


On your website you state that Windowpane Observatory is dedicated to the science of astronomical discovery. If I made a discovery who would I report it to?

Astronomer William Georgevich replies:

The International Astronomical Union maintains a Bureau that investigates and reports on new discoveries in the sky. It is called the Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams. Astronomical discoveries can be reported to the CBAT at the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory in Cambridge, MA. Learn more about that here.

Here at Windowpane Observatory we get a lot of calls and mail about UFO's and other things in the sky that people are wondering about. And because we are an educational institution we are happy to field all calls. Even if folks are mistaking a planet for a flying saucer, we are delighted and gratified that people are looking up and connecting with the universe. The Central Bureau at the Smithsonian's protocol is quite different. Their discovery submission forms are going to ask for very specific information about the suspected new object, its exact position in the sky, and other detailed scientific information.


Return to the list of questions

Ask your question